Indiana Connected by 25 provides financial, educational and social support to assist foster care youth at the critical time when they are transitioning out of foster care and onto their own, most often with no family or economic support. Foster care youth outcomes are dramatically worse when compared to youth with parental support:
- More than one in five will become homeless after age 18.
- Only 58 percent will graduate high school by age 19 (compared to 87 percent of all 19 year olds).
- 71 percent of young women are pregnant by 21, facing higher rates of unemployment, criminal conviction, public assistance, and involvement in the child welfare system.
- At the age of 24, only half are employed.
- Fewer than 3 percent will earn a college degree by age 25 (compared to 28 percent of all 25 year olds).
- One in four will be involved in the justice system within two years of leaving the foster care system.
- More than 60% of youth will have mental health problems during their lifetime.
These statistics highlight the acute challenges facing our foster care system today, and demonstrate the importance of our work not only for our foster care youth but also our community.
With your help, Indiana Connected By25 can continue to foster success for youth exiting the foster care system through our programs that dramatically enhance their chances to succeed, all while saving and improving the local economy hundreds of millions of dollars annually.
Will you help us continue our mission to foster success and productive independence for the youth in our community that are transitioning out of the foster care system?